Article 12 Duration of Membership
Section 1 — Period.
Membership shall continue during the existence of this club unless terminated as hereinafter provided.
Section 2 — Automatic Termination.
- Membership Qualifications. Membership shall automatically terminate when a member no longer meets the membership qualifications, except that
- the board may grant a member moving from the locality of this club or the surrounding area a special leave of absence not to exceed one (1) year to enable the member to visit and become known to a Rotary club in the new community if the member continues to meet all conditions of club membership;
- the board may allow a member moving from the locality of this club or the surrounding area to retain membership if the member continues to meet all conditions of club membership.
- How to Rejoin. When the membership of a member has terminated as provided in subsection (a) of this section, such person, provided such person’s membership was in good standing at the time of termination, may make new application for membership, under the same or another classification. A second admission fee shall not be required.
- Termination of Honorary Membership. Honorary membership shall automatically terminate at the end of the term for such membership as determined by the board. However, the board may extend an honorary membership for an additional period. The board may revoke an honorary membership at any time.
Section 3 — Termination Non-payment of Dues.
- Process. Any member failing to pay dues within thirty (30) days after the prescribed time shall be notified in writing by the secretary at the member’s last known address. If the dues are not paid on or before ten (10) days of the date of notification, membership may terminate, subject to the discretion of the board.
- Reinstatement. The board may reinstate the former member to membership upon the former member’s petition and payment of all indebtedness to this club. However, no former member may be reinstated to active membership if the former member’s classification is in conflict with article 8, section 2.
Section 4 — Termination Non-attendance.
- Attendance Percentages. A member must
- attend or make up at least 50 percent of club regular meetings or satellite club meetings, or engage in club projects, other events and activities for at least 12 hours in each half of the year, or a proportionate combination of both;
- attend at least 30 percent of this club’s regular meetings or satellite club meetings, or engage in club projects, other events and activities in each half of the year (assistant governors, as defined by the board of directors of RI, shall be excused from this requirement).
- If a member fails to attend as required, the member’s membership may be subject to termination unless the board consents to such non-attendance for good cause.
- Consecutive Absences. Unless otherwise excused by the board for good and sufficient reason or pursuant to article 9, sections 3 or 4, each member who fails to attend or make up four consecutive regular meetings shall be informed by the board that the member’s non-attendance may be considered a request to terminate membership in this club. Thereafter, the board, by a majority vote, may terminate the member’s membership.
Section 5 — Termination Other Causes.
- Good Cause. The board may terminate the membership of any member who ceases ?to have the qualifications for membership in this club or for any good cause by a vote of not less than two-thirds of the board members present and voting, at a meeting called for that purpose. The guiding principles for this meeting shall be article 7, section 1; The Four-Way Test; and the high ethical standards that one should hold as a Rotary club member.
- Notice. Prior to taking any action under subsection (a) of this section, the member shall be given at least ten (10) days’ written notice of such pending action and an opportunity to submit a written answer to the board. The member shall have the right to appear before the board to state the member’s case. Notice shall be by personal delivery or by registered letter to the member’s last known address.
- Filling Classification. When the board has terminated the membership of a member as provided for in this section, this club shall not elect a new member under the former member’s classification until the time for hearing any appeal has expired and the decision of this club or of the arbitrators has been announced. However, this provision shall not apply if, by election of a new member, the number of members under the said classification would remain within provided limitations even if the board’s decision regarding termination is reversed.
Section 6 — Right to Appeal, Mediate or Arbitrate Termination.
- Notice. Within seven (7) days after the date of the board’s decision to terminate ?membership, the secretary shall give written notice of the decision to the member. Within fourteen (14) days after the date of the notice, the member may give written notice to the secretary of the intention to appeal to the club, request mediation, or to arbitrate as provided in article 16.
- Date for Hearing of Appeal. In the event of an appeal, the board shall set a date for the hearing of the appeal at a regular club meeting to be held within twenty-one (21) days after receipt of the notice of appeal. At least five (5) days’ written notice of the meeting and its special business shall be given to every member. Only members shall be present when the appeal is heard.
- Mediation or Arbitration. The procedure utilized for mediation or arbitration shall be as provided in article 16.
- Appeal. If an appeal is taken, the action of the club shall be final and binding on all parties and shall not be subject to arbitration.
- Decision of Arbitrators or Umpire. If arbitration is requested, the decision reached by the arbitrators or, if they disagree, by the umpire shall be final and binding on all parties and shall not be subject to appeal.
- Unsuccessful Mediation. If mediation is requested but is unsuccessful, the member may appeal to the club or arbitrate as provided in subsection (a) of this section.
Section 7 — Board Action Final.
Board action shall be final if no appeal to this club is taken and no arbitration is requested.
Section 8 — Resignation.
The resignation of any member from this club shall be in writing, addressed to the president or secretary. The resignation shall be accepted by the board if the member has no indebtedness to this club.
Section 9 — Forfeiture of Property Interest.
Any person whose club membership has been terminated in any manner shall forfeit all interest in any funds or other property belonging to this club if, under local laws, the member may have acquired any right to them upon joining the club.
Section 10 — Temporary Suspension.
Notwithstanding any provision of this constitution, if in the opinion of the board
- credible accusations have been made that a member has refused or neglected to comply with this constitution, or has been guilty of conduct unbecoming a member or prejudicial to the interests of the club; and
- those accusations, if proved, constitute good cause for terminating the membership of the member; and
- it is desirable that no action should be taken in respect of the membership of the member pending the outcome of a matter or an event that the board considers should properly occur before such action is taken by the board; and
- that in the best interests of the club and without any vote being taken as to his or her membership, the member’s membership should be temporarily suspended and the member should be excluded from attendance at meetings and other activities of this club and from any office or position the member holds within the club. For the purposes of this clause, the member shall be excused from fulfilling attendance responsibilities;
the board may, by a vote of not less than two-thirds of the board, temporarily suspend the member as aforesaid for such period and on such further conditions as the board determines, albeit for a period no longer than is reasonably necessary in all the circumstances.
Meeting Time & Location Information
Thursday at 12:00 PM
Winchester Country Club
1300 Senseny Road
Winchester, Virginia 22602 map it
Please join us for Food, Fellowship and Service opportunities.